Châtelet Fountain

Share it

In 1808, Napoleon had the head office of the military police of Paris demolished thus opening up the required space for Place Châtelet in the middle of which a fountain designed by Bralle was erected. Also called the “Palm-tree fountain”, it comprises a 70-feet high column topped by a statue representing Victory and the allegories of Faith, Law, Strength and Vigilance. The shaft of the column commemorates the Empire's victories: Lodi, Arcole, Ulm, Iena, Eylau, Danzig, Friedland.

Following Haussmann's reorganization of Paris, the fountain was moved in 1858 in order to enlarge the square and make room for Boulevard Sébastopol. The fountain was then mounted on a new pedestal decorated with sphinxes by Jaquemart.
 
On either side of the fountain there are twin theatres facing each other: the “Théâtre du Châtelet” and the “Théâtre de la Ville”, both built by Davioud in 1862.

Share it