An international scholarly online history journal on First and Second Empire subjects: articles, bibliographies, book reviews, in english and in french
EN FRANÇAIS


THE MAGAZINE / NEWS

Magazine and News is a place where, every day, we bring you not only what’s going on in the Napoleonic world and interviews with those leading Napoleonic history today, but we also offer you Napoleonic pastimes, entertainments, and even recipes. Enjoy!

Latest updates :

Vient de paraitre : Wargaming Nineteenth Century Europe 1815-1878
Bon appetit! : Turkey in the form of a turtle
Quiz : The major reforms of the Consulate and the Empire (August 2010)
anglegauche angledroit

PLACES, MUSEUMS AND MONUMENTS

 

Baltard Pavilion

Practical Information



Increase


 

In the town of Nogent-sur-Marne stand the last remains of the Grandes Halles de Paris, Paris's great covered market known as Les Halles and built during the Second Empire. Only as a result of the town's obstinacy was this pavilion the only one to escape demolition in 1970. The Baltard Pavilion (Pavilion number 8) for egg and poultry merchants was dismantled in 1972, rebuilt in Nogent-sur-Marne in 1976, and opened the following year. Transformed into a multi-purpose, cultural space, it constitutes today the major architectural attraction of the town and provides a vivid reminder of the exceptional popularity, in the 19th century, of covered markets.
 
In 1842, the Count of Rambuteau, prefect of the Seine under Louis-Philippe, commissioned a study for a central market in Paris. In 1845, he asked for a detailed design project from the architects Baltard and Callet, and in 1853 this resulted in the building of a metal structure with a stone shell. The Parisians quickly named it the "Market Fort" because of its solidity. This building was unfortunately poorly ventilated and difficult to access, and so Napoleon III had the building destroyed and launched a competition for a completely different design. "It is vast umbrellas that I need, nothing more" declared the Emperor to Haussmann while sketching with pencil the general silhouette of the building. Baltard won the competition with his proposition for a collection of pavilions entirely composed of iron and glass and thus very well illuminated. The definitive pavilions for the east section were built over the period 1854 to 1858, and those for the west section were constructed between 1860 and 1874. A celebration of metal architecture, Baltard's market bears witness to the emperor's modernist ideas and his fight against the academism in force at the Ecole des Beaux Arts (School of Fine Arts).   The transfer of the business side of the market from the centre of Paris to Rungis took place 1969. There was great debate as to what to do with the Parisian site. Despite of the offer of purchase proposed by an American banker, a petition, a press campaign in France and abroad, the intervention of numerous personalities and demonstrations against the destruction of the buildings, demolition began on August 2, 1970.   Apart from Zola's novel describing Les Halles, the Baltard Pavilion in Nogent-sur-Marne is all that remains of what was once the "stomach of Paris". The Pavilion however has been adapted in order to respond to its new role as a place for cultural activities: blue mosaic panels reproduce the old brick-work, the façades have been closed in with tinted glass, a heating system has been installed, the new roof has been thermally insulated, sound and light controls have been added, and a mezzanine and moveable cinema/video screens have been included. This prestigious place of French heritage is now a site for exhibitions, concerts, seminars and conferences. Trans. P.H.


 

 Back to the home page

 Back to the section page

 Back to the heading page

 

 

 

 

 Print

Add to your selection


Practical Information


Type of site: Other sites of interest
Region: Paris and Ile de France
Theme: Science and Technology, Others
Address: 12 Avenue Victor Hugo
94130 Nogent-sur-Marne, France
Telephone number: + 33 (0)1 48 73 45 81
How to get there: Railway: Nogent-le-Perreux station
RER: line A2 "Nogent-sur-Marne" station
Bus: 120, 313
Access: General public



Top of the page

Bulletin | My Napoleon.org | Site Map | Contact us | Add to your favourites | Legal | ISSN 2272-1800