US archival resource details online
University of Texas Campus
The text of the treaties
– The Louisiana Purchase Treaty, and the two financial conventions, of 30th of April 1803
On Franco-American relations in general
– DeConde, Alexander, The Quasi War: the politics and diplomacy of the undeclared war with France, 1797-1801, New York: Scribner’s, 1966, 498 p.
– Egan, Clifford L., Neither Peace nor war: Franco-American relations, 1803-1812, Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 1983, 226 p..
– Kaplan, Lawrence, S., Jefferson and France: an essay on politics and political ideas, New Haven: Yale University Press, 1967, 175 p.
– White, Elizabeth Brett, American opinion of France from Lafayette to Poincaré, New York: Knopf, 1927, 346 p.
– Willson, Beckles, America’s ambassadors to France (1777-1927), London: Murray, 1928, 433 p.
On the Louisiana Purchase
– Barbé-Marbois, François, marquis de, The history of Louisiana, particularly of the cession of the colony to the United States of America; with an introductory essay on the Constitution and government of the United States, Philadelphia: Carey & Lea, 1830 (reprinted Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 1977, 460 p.), 455 p., Includes maps.
– DeConde, Alexander, This affair of Louisiana, Baton Rouge and London: Louisiana State University Press, 1976, 325 p. Includes a map, bibliography and index.
– Lyon, E. Wilson, Louisiana in French Diplomacy, 1759-1804, University of Oklahoma Press: Norman, 1974, 268 p.. Includes maps, bibliography and index.
…………………………, The man who sold Louisiana. the career of François Barbé-Marbois, University of Oklahoma Press: Norman, 1974 (reprint of 1942 edition, same press), 240 p. Includes maps.
– Robertson, James A., Louisiana under the rule of Spain, France, and the United States, 1785-1807, 2 vols. Arthur H. Clark Co.: Cleveland, Ohio, , 1911.
– Skolnik, Richard, 1803: Jefferson’s decision, the United States purchases Louisiana, New York: Chelsea House, 1969, 195 p.
Whitaker, Arthur P., The Spanish-American Frontier, 1783-1795: the westward movement and the Spanish retreat in the Mississippi valley, Boston: Houghton Mifflin company, 1927 (republished 1969), 255 p.. Includes maps
……………………………, The Mississippi question, 1795-1803: a Study in Trade, Politics and Diplomacy, New York : D. Appleton-Century Co, 1934, 342 p. Includes a map.
– “Louisiana: to have and to have not…” by Peter Hicks, unpublished, readable here online at napoleon.org
– “The Letters of Robert B. Livingston. The diplomatic story of the Louisiana Purchase” by Edward Alexander Parsons, in The Proceedings of the American Antiquarians Society, vol. 52 (1943), pp. 363-407
– “Napoleon and Louisiana: Failure of the proposed expedition to occupy and defend Louisiana”, by Ronald D. Smith, in Louisiana History, vol. 12 (1971), pp. 21-40
– “Law and Government in the ‘Louisiana Purchase’, 1803-1804”, in Wayne Law Review (Detroit). Vol. 2 (1956), pp. 169-189
– “Documents on the Louisiana Purchase: The Laussat Papers”, by Robert D. Bush, in Louisiana History, vol. 18 (1977), pp. 104-107
For more information:
– Timeline for the Louisiana Purchase
– The Avalon Project at Yale Law School, The Louisiana Purchase
– Louisiana Purchase, a nation reborn 1803-2003, web site for the celebration of the bicentenary
– Jefferson’s America and Napoleon’s France, exhibition in celebration of the bicentenary